Monday, April 5, 2010

Julia - MH Buenos Aires - Personal Blog

Pesach has been a focal point for me for the past month or so and as we’re still in it, it’s on my mind... I’m a teacher in a non-Jewish high school in Buenos Aires and I was asked to give an assembly about Pesach to the whole school. As I’ve never given an assembly before, I was initially apprehensive but I thought ‘feel the fear and do it anyway’. So I tried to give an educational, entertaining account of Pesach with stories, pictures and jokes and it went down surprisingly well. I subsequently had several students who were not obviously Jewish coming up to me telling me that they were Jewish and how much they liked the assembly. I’ve also since sensed an overall feeling amongst the Jewish students of increased confidence and comfortableness in our lessons. It’s a funny thing that sense of connectedness to other Jews but somehow it’s so powerful.

That spurred me on to making seder at the Moishe House educational too. It was important to me to make it speak to our guests and help them to enjoy a collective experience in learning about their heritage. I feel very privileged to have grown up celebrating all the festivals and speaking Hebrew, and it is a gift that I so enjoy sharing. One of our guests hadn’t been to a seder for 12 years and loved being at the MH seder. It was a great evening and will look back on it as a highlight of my time in the Moishe House. I’m not sure when I’ll next be able to have such a creative input into a seder because I hope to be with my family next year in Israel. I’m really looking forward to spending the chagim with them, but will also greatly miss being a part of facilitating positive Jewish experiences like a seder. I’ll find a way somehow though. I’m hooked!

No comments: