Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Rachels Individual Blog-New Years Retreat/Shabbat

We just had an awesome ski trip retreat in Whistler Canada for New Years. It was great to have an event away from the house for an extended period of time. Although it was small and intimate, the people that came got to experience what it is like to be shomer shabbat. There were a couple people who had never had that experience and it was very rewarding to be able to share that joy. I remember when I moved into MH a year ago and had never kept shabbat fully. The first time was a definate struggle. It was hard not to want to check my cell phone or turn on the TV. At first I felt confined and restricted. But then I sat down and played cards with my roomate and had some drinks and I started to see how amazing a break like that can be. I am not the kind of person who normally sits by the window on a saturday afternoon with a good book or eats a long meal and naps for two hours. Normally that would stress me out because I would feel like I should be doing something "productive." But I must say it is an amazing feeling to be surrounded by a community of people eating good food, playing board games, napping and having enlightening discussions. I mean what could be better than that? Being shomer shabbat is not something you can do by yourself. If you do, it can be isolating and lonely. However if you have a community of like minded people that you can share that joy with I have found that it is one of the most amazing and recharging experiences. My boyfriend told me a few weeks ago that I was glowing on shabbat. At first I thought he was just trying to get browny points :) however I realized that I felt like I was glowing. If done right, Shabbat can truly be an amazing experience. I feel very fortunate that I get to try it out in such a great environment and I feel proud that we are able to share it with others, that otherwise would never get such an approachable experience.

No comments: