Monday, January 4, 2010

Moving In: New Community and Opportunities

This New Years marks roughly three months since I moved into Moishe House Silver Spring. Moving to a new city, starting a new job, and entering a group home and Jewish community has been wonderful and difficult.

However, Moishe House has provided me a soft landing. It has tapped me in to a network of incredible individuals. And it also provides a wonderful platform for sharing many of my own interests and passions.

This past Shabbat, one of our community members hosted and arranged a Shabbat dinner at house featuring (Kosher!) Ethiopian food and learning about the Ethiopian Jewish Community. It was wonderful to have someone from our community step up and take such a leadership role. 


In addition to this, my housemates have all done incredible work. We have started a monthly dance event called the Capital Boogie, which draws people of all ages together for a no alcohol, no drugs, no shoes dance party. All of the proceeds of these events have gone to local charities. It has been wonderful to see so many people come out – young and old alike, moishe house community members and new comers.

Additionally, I had a very special experience co-leading a workshop about immigration issues in American with my housemate Lindsay. We co-sponsored this event with Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society. In the process of putting together the program, I learned a lot about immigration issues and then got to share what I had learned with my community.

These experiences have all been very special and have made a new city seem more familiar and given me a way to contribute to my new community. I have appreciated this platform that Moishe House has given me and have enjoyed reaping the benefits of the warm community that it provides!

3 comments:

Tim Brauhn said...

It's great that you've found such a groovy place, Benjamin. Having a reinforcing living space is a great encouragement to being awesome.

Liza said...

Hey Ben - thanks for the HIAS shout-out! I’m glad that you learned a lot from hosting Welcome the Stranger, and that you and Lindsay had a good time in the process. I think one of my favorite things about living in the DC area is that we are right in the thick of things and there are so many important causes to get involved in where we can really make a difference. If you or anyone else from the house is interested in learning more about immigration issues, please email me at Liza.Lieberman@hias.org or they can check out our website www.hias.org for advocacy or other updates. Happy New Year!!

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone im new to this.

Thanks,

Mike


[url=http://www.dhgateforums.com/forumdirectory/member.php?u=15391]Search Engine Optimization Company[/url]