Potluck Thanksgiving in Beijing was great. We somehow managed to cram 30 people into our apartment, including our next door neighbors. We had originally invited them over just to defuse any irritation that they might have about there being 30 foreigners next door, but they actually took us up on it! I think that they enjoyed themselves. A mother and her young daughter brought over a bag of beer and vacuum sealed worms (for real), and an older couple brought over home made dumplings. The dumplings were a hit, but I don't know how many people sampled the worms. I know that I didn't. In case you're interested, photos are here.
Of course, Thanksgiving isn't a particularly Jewish holiday (Pilgrims, anyone?) but Jews celebrate it, and it's hard to find a place to celebrate Thanksgiving with your friends in Beijing. This was my first time hosting a Thanksgiving, and it was very rewarding to receive so many "thank you"s from people the next day.
Do you know what else is rewarding? A fridge full of leftovers. Yes.
No comments:
Post a Comment