One of the reasons I moved back to CA a little over two months ago was to re-ground myself within a true community of friends. I'd built some solid friendships in New York, but there was always something missing. I had friends, but my friends weren't all friends with each other. The something missing turned out to be those friends who knew you when you were 'yea' big', the ones who saw you through your dorky teenage years, and the ones who studied with you in college. I missed being surrounded by those who knew my history. I also missed having a true community instead of individual relationships.
Reconnecting with old friends has actually also enabled me to branch out and meet new ones. Its as if my old friends remind me of my true self, help me to feel comfortable in my own skin, and give me the courage to reach out to new faces and make a connection. Something magical seems to have happened this month; due mainly to my living and participating in Moishe House, I've had this merging of new and old friends and all of a sudden ''wham!" a full-on community of peers, almost all of whom are Jewish. (I guess that figures...) It's been great to see how my old friends have embraced my new friends, and vice versa. It's also been great to meet so many Jews in San Francisco. There is something easier about starting a new friendship when people at least share a somewhat similiar cultural and religious background. After the initial transition and adjustment to a new city, I can say that I now feel like I have found my place.
I was at a Channukah party this last weekend hosted by Birthright Israel NEXT and Bay Area Tribe with my new 'community' and danced and sang the night away to an amazing 80s cover band. Smiling and screaming the lyrics alongside me were my best friend from the first day I walked into the dorms of college 7 years ago, one of my Moishe House roommates, and a ton of other awesome new friends I've made through Moishe House in the past 2 months. It's amazing how quickly I've been made to feel at home. I couldn't be happier.
I'm so excited for the new year ahead and all the connections, fun, and adventures it will bring with friends both new and old. May 2009 be a great one!
~Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment