New Year here isn't as big a deal as in the US. No fireworks in the streets- that is saved for Chinese New Year, which my inner pyromaniac is looking forward to. There were a few special shows on TV, featuring singing, dancing and other performances. I was watching one of these TVs show at a restaurant. The performance was traditional Peking Opera. I think it's interesting to listen to Peking Opera for about one minute, but at lengths longer than that, it sounds like a cat being run over by a car. Apparently I'm not the only one who shares this sentiment, because as soon as Peking Opera came on TV, the restaurant owner scoffed and changed the channel.
But you know what is a big deal here? Christmas! There are Christmas decorations everywhere. Shopping malls have those giant, animatronic santas, Christmas trees and so on. I even saw a manger in a complex near the office building I work in. And everyone wants to wish me a merry Christmas. I guess there is no escaping Christmas, even in a country where most people are officially Atheists.
We had a great latke making party here. My mom had sent me a care package, and was thoughtful enough to include matzoh meal, an essential ingredient in my grandmother's latke recipe. I think it was a big success.
I have today and tomorrow off from work, as per the government's official holiday calendar. However, the government wants to make sure that I don't get lazy, so I only have three days off. Let's see, Thursday, Friday, Saturday- that's three. What about Sunday? Oh, I have to go into work on Sunday. Thanks for looking out for my work ethic, government. If I had four consecutive days off, I might lose The People's Work Ethic.
No comments:
Post a Comment