Tuesday, December 2, 2008

MHSeattle, Neal Schindler, 12/2/2008

December promises to be a month of exciting events at Moishe House Seattle. There'll be an ice-skating afternoon, a Russian evening, a night at "Spicebox" (a regular local belly-dancing event), and a Chanukah outing to a burlesque show, plus a Shabbat in high MH Seattle style. In my life, Jewish doings abound; I'm working on a freelance piece for Jew-ish.com on the afterlife, I saw "Milk" (one of the year's best films, in my opinion) last night with a bunch of friends, and I'll be turning my attention soon to choosing December's selection for Israeli movie night. (I think it's between "The Band's Visit" and "Bonjour, Monsieur Shlomi" -- I want something heartwarming after last month's "Late Marriage," which is a bit of a downer).

Though I haven't managed to nail down a day job yet, I've had some encouraging advances in the process, like applying for a writing position at PCC that I'd actually want to do, and gearing up for an informational interview on Friday at the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Where the various job sites left me in a state of mild despair before, now I'm thinking that persistent effort, and a decent bit of networking, could actually pay off eventually -- and a job would bring a sense of balance to my life that I could really use.

No comments: