Saturday, March 20, 2010

MHPhilly, Brian-style

Well Philly is poppin' and Moishe House is a part of it all. While all of us here at the house are enjoying some great events and wonderful people walking through our door, I am particularly happy that I have been able to host some of my colleagues at work. As a teacher in an urban school, there is often little time for socialization because everyone is focused on making sure our students are succeeding - on tests, projects, or just in getting to class on time. Moishe House has given me a personal venue for hanging out with my work-friends.

It's a funny balance to have - a world where almost no one is Jewish at work (save a couple other teachers and the Brazilian immigrant student who gave me a high-five when she found out I was a member of the tribe), and a house where 20-something Hebrew school graduates come over weekly. Generally everyone feels totally comfortable and invited. It's just funny to have someone ask if they are the only gentile in the room and I have to say yes. Not that I think it's a bad thing - I just know it's on their mind.

As more of my work friends learn about my background and begin attending some of the events, they start getting involved in the conversation and asking questions, and I have started asking poignant questions back. It's a great dialogue to have and I hope to continue it for a long time.

No comments: