Hello Moishe Community.
My first post! This month has been crazy. As my housemates have probably already posted, we opened our doors as an official Moishe House just a few short weeks ago, and only a few weeks after moving in this enormous (to me at least, my room has a closet this year!) apartment. Four flights of stairs and carrying all 5 roommate's old futon later, the place is really coming together, and already we have our regulars, who probably know what's in the fridge better than I do.
Our events have been going well, starting out with a pretty rocking apples and honey party. If the success of a party is measured by how much mopping is necessary the next day, I'll say we did pretty well. Building a community obviously means more than just inviting a few friends over, but we are beginning to build our listserv and firm up some of our house routines (finding good tikkun olam opportunities in our new neighborhood, contacting like minded Jewish organizations and coordinating events, figuring out who's turn it is to empty the dishwasher, etc).
We had a "community meeting" last week, where we shared our house's vision of this space with the people who came and recorded their ideas of what they would like our role to be. We generated an enormous list of ideas for future events, only a handful of which we can even fit in out October schedule, which is a wonderful problem to have. We are trying to have a minimum of two tikkun olam events a month, which I am very excited about, but might take a minute to get off the ground. The Jewish soup kitchen that we like has a waiting list for volunteers! Another good problem to have.
On a personal note, I've been working like a dog all month, which just made all the rest of the work (moving in, getting situated, etc) all the more fun. I've been working for a startup website for the past 8 months, and just last tuesday we went live. Very exciting. Then we realized that doesn't mean the work is done, just that now people are watching. Sort of a huge relief though, and a great start of the year.
See you in October,
Joe
1 comment:
I am the kind of hombre who enjoys to seek unused stuff. Currently I'm building my private solar panels. I am making it all by myself without the aid of my staff. I am using the internet as the only way to acheive that. I stumbled upon a really amazing site that explains how to build photovoltaic panels and so on. The web site explains all the steps involved in building pv panels.
I am not sure bout how accurate the information given there is. If some experts over here who had experience with these things can have a look and give your feedback in the site it would be awesome and I would extremely value it, because I truly enjoy solar panel construction.
Thanks for reading this. You guys are great.
Post a Comment