Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A Comment on Community

Moishe House is an amazing project and opportunity for all of us to great community. And the best part is that we get to decide what that means to us. This is great, but I also find it to be the most difficult aspect. From the beginning, I have asked myself: What does community mean in the Moishe House context? I am not sure if even after 2 years I have a complete answer. I am proud of the work I have done with MHSF and I am really pleased with individual events which have successfully connected new community members with each other and exposed them to fun and cultural happenings. But I still wonder if MHSF is community with a "c" or a "C".

I just read Margie Klein's blog from MHBO and I was really impressed. From the time that I met her and the other Boston House members I was always impressed by the fact that they really seemed to know what community means to them. She talks about getting house members and community members together to take care of another community member whilst they are mourning and sitting shiva. This is community with a "C".

While I was in Israel during July. I had the great opportunity to visit a few kibbutzim and there I also felt a sense of community with "C". Day in and day out people lived with each other, knew about each others lives, and helped build their community together.

In the coming months at Moishe House SF I want to really think about community again. To try and set a definition for myself and my house mates. I would love it to come from us, but I would also be interested to know if the rest of the Moishe Houses have their own definitions or for that matter if the Forest Foundation has one.

Ranting in SF

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yoo.. funny :))