Saturday, September 1, 2007

Becky Coren, Moishe House Philly, August

Illadelphia and MH has been treatin' me right

New York treated me well in my undergrad years. Although I was ready
for a change, I didn't expect that that change would be back in my old
digs. Last year I lived in a Hemmingway-esque home in Manayunk, a town
outside the City. Sure, it was romantic at times; sitting in my office
looking out at the steeple of a near-by church, saying "Hi" to each
and every neighbor, the local gang of kids crowded on the corner
asking me for homework help...but I needed a change.

I've lived in MHP for a little over a month now, and it's been dope.
First, we live three blocks from a dog park. It's always awesome to
observe the wacky-dog-park parents and Jack has a good ol' time
getting his run on. Secondly, our house is in an unbelievable
location; right near the Italian Market, Washington Square Park, and
the HOTGO (aka: PATCO = high speed line into Camden where school is).
We're surrounded by the best BYOs, bars, and coffee shops. Lastly,
word on the street is that we are now considered to be the coolest
Jews in Philly. After being interviewed by the Jewish Exponent and
then the Inquirer, our listserve is bursting from all the publicity.

On top of all of that, our house is thriving internally too. Although
still not sure how frequently we have to go to the grocery store, what
day of the week our weekly meeting will be, and who keeps leaving the
lights on... the Moishe Mamas are the bomb. We share clothes, throw
amazing shabbatot, hang out, and especially, we support each other.
Everything is "fabo"--the new adjective we've all been hooked on.

So, to Philly-- thanks for being a fantastic place to sink our roots.
To the girls-- for being 2 sisters an only child dreams about. And to
the Forest Foundation and Lynn Shusterman-- for making it all happen!
You rock.

2 comments:

Rachael A said...

Hello to Philly =)

I'd love to visit sometime & to check out what an all-girls house is like!

OH: maybe you guys & our guys (gals) can have a joint female-only event at a half-way spot between Silver Spring & Philly?? And maybe our two Moishe Houses would like to go skiing in the winter together...

Becky, it sounds like you lived in a perfect-like place: friendly neighbors, local kids know you, a sense of community. But I am glad you are loving where you are now, and I hope it is everything you could want it to be & more!

Sukkot Sameach!!

<3s from Silver Spring, MD

Becky Coren said...

Rachael! I just saw your post this moment! I would love to plan a joint get together! Thank you so much for your shout out. We would LOVE LOVE LOVE a meet up! Can't wait to see you in LA in Jan.

Becky