I’ve been living in Moishe House Buenos Aires for 1 yr 4 mths, since we opened in July 2007. MH is an amazing deal and probably one of the best things I’ve ever done. In this time over a thousand people have visited our house, we have thrown 105 events. I’ve lived in 2 houses, shared with 4 roommates (latest add Nell from NYC). Made connections with all kinds of synagogues, clubs, associations and communities with whom we had fundraisers, shabbat dinners, outings and now we count on each other. MH by word of mouth has reached a large scope of the community, raising on and on again the same question, ‘so you kids are hosting community events the way you see fit? You don’t belong to any particular religious affiliation?’ and the answer is yes, and it’s amazing how it works out to be an amazing host to the community. MHBA is the place for Jewish expats in BA from all over the world. And my roommates? Unbeatable. Evan Rosenstock...!
This month as standout events we had an all American Iom Kipur Breakfast (with actual homemade bagels made by roommate Mauro, and practically all american attendance), this is our new roommate’s, Nell Hutchins, first month so of course there was a welcome party and everyone’s getting to know her; and we’re getting ready for MH’s Shabbat Around the World this Friday.
2 comments:
Tania!! Te Quiero!!!!
"Made connections with all kinds of synagogues, clubs, associations and communities with whom we had fundraisers, shabbat dinners, outings and now we count on each other."
I somewhat envy you on this! We have been here just about as long, and have not accomplished this. We try, but it's not working -- perhaps due to the nature of the Jewish-ness in this region. I'd love to experience your community to see what it's like!!
P.S. -- Hi to Aimee from Pikesville, MD, from Rachael :)
Post a Comment