Saturday, October 4, 2008

David - MHSF - Always Beginning

Much of what I find myself doing in life is going from one transitional stage to the next. This can happen in small ways every day, and in bigger ways throughout the course of a year and a lifetime. We acknowledge these transitions, or we don't, but without fail these segments of life always give us a push forward. Can looking at these bits of time and space more closely connect us to that which we are focussed on and that which we are switching our focus too?

My evening activities bring to mind a host of transitions and segues. When I get home from a day of work I one of the first things I might do is take off shoes or clothes that no longer feel appropriate. Do I need to take a step cognitively to recognize this? I may, without a word, sigh or take a few moments when moving on from my once-again overcooked vegetables to the next cocoa infused stage of my meal. Will I enjoy my dessert more if I separate my experiencing it's taste from the rest of my dining experience?

Rosh Hashanah provides us with a transition built into our calendar. It is up to me to make this more than an annual part of my life. Create the time to look back on the good now. Pause. Appreciate the present now. Pause. Then look forward to the future. I want to recognize and celebrate all beginnings and endings, rebirth, and new experiences. I want to do it everyday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to read this David. It inspires me to take time to transition and really be with where I am and what is going on. It really sounds like underneath it all, when the time is taken to be present, what is there is gratitude. Rosh Hashanah is a scheduled transition, a place for gratitude and a renewal. Thanks Dave!