Thursday, October 2, 2008

High holiday reflecting

So I know that right now we're supposed to be in a time of personal reflection -- examining the things about ourselves and the relationships we hold dear that we want to change in the coming year. And at the moment I do find myself doing a great deal of that -- and I really value that this time of year is special for the Jewish people in this way.

But recently, I've also been spending a lot of time thinking about our Moishe/Kavod House, and how we have changed over the past several years, and must continue to change if we are going to thrive and be sustainable over the long-term.

We've built something wonderful and meaningful here in Boston, but without some organizational changes -- formal leadership structures, grassroots funding, better administrative systems -- we won't last. Maybe we will carry on until the current generation of leaders moves on, but what will remain at that point is unclear.

So while I know that we won't solve these problems overnight, nor will the housemates be able to do it on our own, I'm excited to work with our leadership team this year to figure these problems out. I believe that if we can maintain our organic feel while building formal structures to support our community, we will have achieved something special, and long-lasting.

No comments: