Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Jesse MoishePVD Oct

This past weekend I left MoishePVD to go home for Yom Kippur. Home, the dirty jerz, oy gevalt. My disdain for my homeland is balanced and matched only by my love and esteem for my family there.

Given that I was traveling home for the high holiday, my newest realization about my family is an ironic one. The only time I really connect with my parents and siblings is when we're in the car together. Does anyone else have this problem? In the house where I grew up, there are no rooms set up for friendly drop-in leisurely conversations, let alone specific arrangements for any family time.

So, the only time when we're forced to sit in the same place for any extended period is when we're driving somewhere. Since I haven't lived at home for years now, this is now only on special occasions like religious holidays. Now, my most satisfying conversations with my closest blood relatives occur when we're going to or from the synagogue on Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur... by car.

No comments: