We have one month exactly until the electoral college decides who our next President is. Oh wait, or is it up to the country's citizens to independently vote on who we think should be our next President?
As recent as last week I began working for Grassroots Campaigns, an organization that does fundraising for liberal causes, such as Amnesty Intl., the ACLU, and most recently the Democratic National Committee. I was unemployed and there was too much going on around me concerning the Presidential campaign for me not to get involved. And although I don't really love or even like the work I do, which consists of standing on street corners trying to get people to make contributions to the DNC, I love talking to people and learning about how they feel about the two candidates, how they feel about the issues, how they feel about the direction our country is headed in, and most importantly, I like doing somehting that makes me feel like I'm making a difference.
Too often since I began going to high school and then attended and graduated college I've heard our generation is one that has so much potential to make changes, change the course of history, change the inferiorities and discrimination in this world, and way way way too often I'm told we are not doing enough, we are not making our mark the same way our parent's generation did in the 60s. Too often I hear about everything we are not doing, all the ways we could be doing more.
Well, as of last Monday, I have seen and experienced the ways young people, like myself are making a difference and are VERY very concerned and dedicated to helping reform the way things go down in this country, with a very strong commitment to see the injustices we have learned about in our high school US History and Government classes are less in your face issues for our kids than they continue to be for us.
If you are reading this posting and are not somehow involved in the upcoming election, even at the most simple and basic level such as making some phone calls, donating some money, putting an Obabm sticker on your car, or on your bike, or even challenging your Grandparents to vote for Obama rather than Mccain because its what our country needs, then it's time to step up and do your part!! Every single one of us has the power to influence dozens and dozens of people every single day, it is a shame to waste that influential gift of sharing knowledge and working toward a common goal.
Dig deep when you think about what you want the next month of your life to look like. If you wake up November 5th and John Mccain is our next President you can do a lot of things, like be really pissed, or say life's not fair, or freak out and move to Canada. But the one thing you can't do is turn back the clock and wish you somehow got more involved, made more of a difference, DID SOMETHING.
I will be praying this month that the American people, both the general public like you and me, and the people that really make things happen step up to the plate abd elect Obama because if we unfortunately reelect the same presidential bullshit we've had to put up with the last 8 years, I am afraid of what might happen.
Danny in the East Bay supports Barack Obama, as does the entire East Bay Moishe House!
1 comment:
Danny, thank you for your post! I wholeheartedly agree. Thank you for your work. I was just driving my my friend's Greenpeace office in SF last night - his light is always on at insane hours of the night. Not only is he working on a national level to end global warming, he is heading off multiple volunteer groups, phoning banks, and other creative plans to get Barack Obama in office. He's our age too!!! People our age are making a difference, working their butts off, and caring a whole lot! Thanks Danny, I support Obama.
Post a Comment