Thursday, October 11, 2007

Tear the Roof off the Sukkah

Life in Moishe House Boston is rock'n!!! We transformed our porch in a sukkah, complete with paper chains, hanging phallic gourds, a ceiling of twinkly lights and corn stalks, and shimmery purple walls. In the process of looking for schach (that what the stuff on the roof it called, really, I kid you not) I discovered an awesome local farm, right in our neighborhood. It was a wonderful reminder of my last summer, when I was working on a Jewish Organic Farm spending everyday with my toes in the dirt, growing some of the most delicious veggi's I've ever had. So, this discovery prompted me to purchase loads of yummy fresh local produce for our sukkot meals. We usually have loads of people over for shabbat, so it was really nice to have smaller gatherings all seated around the table in the sukkah. Our house guests, Noam, made gazpacho, and we feasted on eggplants, tomatoes and corn. Now that the crops have been harvested, and we are battening down for New England winter (it rained more here this week than it had all summer), I glad I got to enjoy the last days of warmth and earthly bounty in our own Moishe House Sukkah. - Joe

No comments: