The move into Moishe House went pretty smoothly, and as soon as I left my parents' house, I felt so much better! I've been basking in this shiny feeling all month, although by now the novelty is slowly starting to wear off. Still, I really like it here! It's amazing how easily we all get along, whereas with my parents every day was a struggle and a fight.
There were some difficult moments earlier in the month, where some of my crazy secular Russian-Jewish family and friends didn't understand why I wanted to do more Jewish things and deal with keeping a kosher kitchen. All they could see was that it would be a pain to keep kosher, to host guests all the time and have no privacy. It was very sad for me that they couldn't see my happiness through this, and understand that I really like doing this stuff. However, as the weeks went by and some of these people came over, they saw how great the place is and that I haven't really joined a sect (contrary to popular belief :).
Our first community dinner on Wednesday was really magical. We had people of several generations come over, they all came together beautifully in the house with our food. We were many people, but enough to sit at one table, and it made for a very cozy and intimate evening. And this keeps happening over and over, it's great! The only trouble is that we are always late in our preparations,and the beginning is always a little frantic. As is the case right now, as I have some pots in the kitchen, and we're waiting for guests for our Wednesday night community dinners and and answering the door to trick-or-treaters(they never came to my parents' house! but this is a real neighborhood:) So apologize to the readers for the harried quality of the post, and my big claim to you is that next month will be better. :)
Lehayim,
Masha
No comments:
Post a Comment