Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Importance of health insurence and exercise

I had some thoughts about these two subjects and wanted to share so no one makes the same mistake I made this fall. I currently work part time, and so I was on my parents health insurance which ended in July. After not being sick in months, I wasn't quick to get myself a health insurance plan. My dad (the wise man that he is) bugged me about it for months and even sent me the link to the kaiser website. Whether it was the cool weather coming in or the the very slight cough I had developed, I got my act together and signed up for a plan in the last week of September. As the cough worsened, and my boss threatened to send me home because my coughing was distracting him, I was excited to receive an email from kaiser saying I was accepted into their health insurance plan. Unfortunately, my excitment was drowned by the last sentence of the email which stated the plan began November 1st. It was September 30.

Three weeks later and a cramping pain in my right side from the exhaustion of my rib muscles, I was getting worried. My sister, Leah, who is in nursing school, her boyfriend Guy, who is a med student, and my friend Ricky, who is a future med student all reassured me that I was really fine, and that anyone's muscles would be sore after coughing for almost 4 weeks.

Now, I am an avid runner. As my friend Kaylie says, I am her coach motivator in getting her in shape. And I continued to run through this cough because I am somewhat addicted to the post exercise high. But alas, the pain in my side got too sore and I had to stop running which made me feel crappy.

So, today, October 27th, I went on my first run in two weeks. It felt awesome, and the cough and sore muscles are almost better. So, the moral of the story is, not having health insurance caused me to stop running, which caused me to be less happy. I will never do it again.

No comments: