Today I had two big events. First, the Tu B'shvat Hike. We had a good solid crew--10 attendees, 2 of which were new. We hiked up in the greenspace in NW Portland. It was really beautiful...I still am soaking in all the green Oregon beauty. A lot of the people were asking for more hikes...even people who couldn't make it. I'm glad there was such a great response.
I think it's always really enjoyable and relaxing to hike with new friends. It's good conversation, and your blood is pumping and you soak in all the natural beauty around you.
We nearly escaped the rain...so I'm happy. It was perfect.
Tonight, we had our February house meeting, which I "took charge" of. It actually reminded me of doing USY in high school. I still remember the big pot-luck I made for my board when I was president senior year...and I remember high-lighting the different agenda items. My youth director cooed from above, "Oh, you're so organized!" It's neuroticism, really...
I decided to go all-out on cooking because it's Tu B'shvat and I got all into the whole nuts and fruits and grains theme. I need more cooking practice, and it's fun to have people to cook for so it's good. I spent Saturday night cooking lol...which I usually spend in because I have to teach Sunday mornings...and sometimes I feel like I need to get out, but I really enjoyed this activity. I think that's what's great about Moishe House--it presents you with all kinds of activities to partake in. It's interesting, it keeps things exciting.
The meeting was good, I was surprised to see us staying pretty well on task. Steve, our house dad, gave some really good input. I'm really glad he's so supportive to us. I've come to respect more and more his personal growth and role in the community--as I have known him as my friends' dad for years.
We have some good ideas for the future...some good structural processes since our house is pretty new. We work really well together. When I look around I see some really smart, capable, awesome leaders. We click and it's great.
After the meeting, we worked on our song for the Moishe House Coffee Shop Night we are doing in a couple weeks. Rachel and I are spear-heading it, but it's a cooperative effort--esp for the song. Jeremy is so talented with harmonica, piano, singing, et al, Jodi's great with drums and has a blast, I can kinda pick around on guitar on some basic chords, and Rachel's helping us all coordinate...she'll sing with us and maybe do somethin silly too like play a coffee-pot hahaha.
It was really really great to spend time with the house on a specific project together.
~~~
The light is dim...Jeremy strikes his piano...Jodi smashes and clashes the drums...I am bent over, picking and listening...and Rachel is watching and writing the words on her lap-top. Electricity fills the room and the instability of greatness is lingering in the air, waiting to fly exploding into the air, and float on down to us like fireworks.
We string along melody and rhyme....until weariness pulls at our eyes and yawns yank on our jaws. Our ambitions are aflame with excitement and the satisfaction of good, hard work has sunk into our pores.
We wander off in our own directions...to bed, to blog, to murmur softly as the dryer hums.
The zippers bang and the towels thud. The rhythm is familiar and constant, but eclectic.
No comments:
Post a Comment