Maybe I'm a lil' bit biased, but I do have to say I think our house killed it this month with some awesome programming!
We started the month off with an awesome speaker, David Mendelsohn, PhD, of McGill University, Canada. He gave an intimate lecture/talk at our house for a small crowd on the socio-linguistics of Arabs living within Israel. He was young, down-to-earth, and fascinating to listen to. Not only did I find both his personal story (an ex-ultra orthodox Jew, national high school champion wrestler, Yeshiva drop out, who made aliyah, and in ulpan began studying Arabaic which led to his career in sociolinguistics) and his research compelling; I loved how many new faces his presence brought into our house. We shoot out every event via email to a mass distribution list, and I think we piqued the interest of a lot of new folks with this event. It was great to see different people come out of the woodwork and show up for a more intellectual, cerebral event. It made me proud to be a part of a project that not only provides a social space for young Jews but also a place for inquiry and educational growth.
Later on in the month we had our monthly potluck Shabbat dinner, but this month with a little twist. We co-sponsored the event with San Francisco Hillel Grads, which is basically the Hillel program for grad students at all the graduate schools and programs in the city. I think at one point we counted 37 people in our kitchen!! t was the largest Shabbat dinner since I've lived in the house, and once again, it was great to meet so many new people. I was pleased how well the two different groups mixed and mingled. I love being able to open my home for my peers to network, mingle, relax, and celebrate Shabbat. The more the merrier!
Oh, and our soccer team is pretty much dominating the charity league in which we play. This last week we had our first loss, but we should be well positioned to be heading into the play-offs in a few weeks and hopefully will win the semi-finals! I'm so happy to find my life filled with educational experiences, social experiences, Jewish experiences, and even athletic pursuits. Gotta love Moishe House.
Looking forward to spring...
1 comment:
Sarah! This is really inspiring, what great work you are doing! And, it is okay to brag! Keep it up and I'll see you in a few days.
Best,
Summer
Post a Comment