Tuesday, October 6, 2009

MH - A worldwide community

This past summer, I had the oppotunity to spend 8 weeks in beautiful southern california working at Camp Ramah in Ojai. After having spent 13 years at Camp Ramah in the Berkshires, I figured I would be spending a lot of time talking about my experience there. While that was the case a lot of the time, it was surprising to find that I also spent a lot of time talking about Moishe House. Perhaps this was for a bunch of reasons; its part of my life, it's part of my social circle, it allows me to show off my cooking skill. But one reason I didnt count on was because there were people at camp who also knew people in other moishe houses, mostly in california. While at camp i met a couple of people who had visited a moishe house before. so, discussions then ensue talking about the similarities, and differences, between houses on opposite coasts. Discussions also come up about people who i met loving the idea and concept behind moishe house and wanting to know how they could apply to start one up. It was nice that I could talk to people about moishe house who knew about it and had the experience, instead of having to first explain the program to them.

The bottom line to all this is, is that as moishe house continues to grow and get bigger, we also continue to grow tighter. Because of all the exposure that comes with opening up a moishe house, that means that as more people get to experience it and the more you travel around, the more you are bound to meet people who have had the moishe house experience. And when you can travel 3,000 miles across the country and meet people who have had the same experiences as you, it helps to bring people together quicker as they both share a common bond. I did not expect it, but having some respond to you, "Oh, you're in a Moishe House? I've been to one!", it feels you with a sense of pride that you are part of something special. And if there's one word I have to use to describe the worldwide community that it Moishe House, it would be special.

No comments: