Sunday, October 4, 2009

Ari from SF after a huge SF weekend

This past weekend in San Francisco were some great options for activities. There was Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, a 3 day free music festival with 80 bands (including some big names) in Golden Gate Park. The festival draws around 500,000 over the three days, and with the beautiful weather this weekend it seemed as great as ever. If you're not into that scene, there was "Love Fest" in the Civic Center right near City Hall. I went last year and saw all the half (or fully) naked people cruising around, listening to techno and just having a good time. A few great exhibits opened up at local musuems, and the 49ers also played in SF this weekend. All week I was looking forward to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, possibly meeting up with some friends at Love Fest, and going to the 49ers game on Sunday. Unfortunately I had to work, and the extent of my outside time consisted of 2 hours at the bluegrass festival. As my grandma would say, "such is life." And it's true.

When things don't go to plan, or if a seemingly huge inconvenience hits you, I think it's so important to evaluate the actual importance of what you're facing. Would I have preferred going to the events around SF this weekend over working? Obviously. But you can't win them all. If I were to complain to everyone about how I had to work all weekend, what would happen if something came up that was serious enough for me to actually complain about? I'd have no credibility, people would just caste me as a complainer. And even worse, I'd get caught up the negative feelings associated with "working a weekend."

This all centers around being appreciative and realizing when complaining is really worth it. It helps a ton to realize this notion considering we all live in Moishe Houses with multiple roommates. Here's to a great next weekend!

No comments: