Ok, so this might come off sounding like a sales pitch for St. Louis, but that's because it is! I will give you (you being all the St. Louis haters out there) that St. Louis does not have the continuity of your "more fun" cities. Fine. But just because everything is not within walking distance (and there is no public transportation to save your life out here) does not mean that it all does not exist, and then some. I say this after a surprisingly fun Jewish happy hour tonight at Araka, a restaurant/bar in Clayton, a St. Louis "neighborhood." Araka could have been in any number of big cities, with its expensive drinks, cool decor and uppity people. So we have that in St. Louis, but we also have your dive bars, your pubs, your corner bars (big ups to Thurman Grill on our street corner), all of which Moishe House has helped me to experience in various ways.
So I guess what I am trying to say is that St. Louis is growing on me? (Hell, it better be after five years here!) and that all you people out there who have never been (so all of you probably) owe it to yourselves to come check it out.
And if you do, we'll take you to the City Museum...it's a jungle gym for big kids... with beer.... show me that New York and Chicago!
Posted by Dave, STL
No comments:
Post a Comment