Since I live in the St. Louis MH that Yoni was originally talking about and also have some insights into how to both enjoy Moishe House for what it is and also enjoy having your own personal time not representing Moishe House. I make sure that there are distinctions between when we have a Moishe House event and when it just time to hang out and shoot the proverbial shit. I feel like we as a Moishe House have a warm and welcoming vibe downstairs where the living room and dining room are, however upstairs is our personal area and for the most part people are not really encouraged to see it besides a that first tour of the house. Therefore I feel like when I am up upstairs I have the freedom to attend to my own personal life and so forth. Downstairs is the Moishe House area and therefore we treat it as such with lots of seating open areas and just general openness to walking in to my house and seeing random people whose identity I do not know. Additionally, we have kind of started including other people in the organization side of our events, so you may receive a personal invite from one of us for shabbat dinner one week and next week, it may be an email from a normal regular seeing if they want a ride to another event. In that way, we end up not spending as much time stuck in the details of each event and it allows people to work out their plans themselves.
However, in the recent past we have starting down a slippery slope where even if you plan on doing a non-moishe house event with a smaller amount of people for the sake of organization (for example going to dinner, movie or some other arbitrary event like eating caramels*), others begin to ask if they can attend, and there is nothing worse that saying that I would rather people not attend just because of trying to coordinate every one's schedule. It ends up harder to push out the event planning responsibilities in a non-moihse house event just due to the fact that these things are usually last second. I have never hit so many minimum party requirements for tip being just automatically added to a tab. Though that part I don't mind at all, its just calling everyone, telling them what we were planning on doing, and then reacting and changing plans when certain requests come in. In all truth, I don't have the most fantastic way of dealing with those items besides running up to my Non-Moishe House room and locking the door. Anyone have a good idea for that?
*Good Will Hunting has so many better quotes than this but it just seemed to fit, how do you like them apples?
No comments:
Post a Comment