Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mardi Gras Magic

I'm not sure you all have seen the New Orleans tourism commercials, but you can probably imagine them. Hordes of happy, smiling costumed faces dancing through the French Quarter streets. Improptu jam sessions on street corners with trombones and trumpets raised to the sky. Everything's warm and colorful and wonderful.

I always sort of felt those ad campaigns were a little overkill, pigeonholing all of New Orleans as merely just a series of parades. The disney-nola.

I was wrong. Mardi Gras day, that is "Fat Tuesday", really can have all that magic from the commercials and then some. Along with my Moishenik partner in crime and a few other friends, we biked around the city from one parade to the next. In the quarter, friendly revelers droped super bouncy balls from their steel terraces. Strangers offered each other hugs and drinks. My apologies for the triteness of this post. But on this Mardi Gras Day, New Orleans was one giant-cheesy commercial. And this New Orleanian is all the more appreciative for it.

No comments: