I think I'm officially the "pseudo-cultural outing" dude here at MHSS. In November I led two field trips.. one up to Laurel for "redneck karaoke", and one to College Park for the ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW.
Unfortunately we didn't get as big a crowd as we expected for karaoke, because apparently people are busy on Tuesday evenings. See now, I would never let a little thing like paralegal classes or visitting a sick relative keep me and my off-key warbling away from a microphone, but it takes all kinds, you know? :) Rest assured, our friends and fans, we will pick a better day next time to trek up Whiskey Bottom Rd. for a night of beer, Beastie Boys, and Clint Black. Or Cher, Shania, shooters, and Tool! Or Kingsmen Trio, jack & coke, New Found Glory, and Kanye! The possibilities are endless.
The Rocky was amazing, as usual. Have I mentioned I worked tech for the College Park cast for four years? There's nothing better than walking onto campus dressed like a goth pirate tramp, with a woman wearing nothing but a slip on one arm and a cross between a French Maid and an electrocution victim on the other, and settling in to watch one of the worst B-movies be shown while shouting raunchy heckles and jokes at the proud freaks who lip-sync and act out the entire thing in front of the movie screen.
When Brady (Hi Brady!) came to visit us, we took him up to the Visionary Arts Museum in Baltimore - an amazing place to go if you ever get the opportunity. Plus, Baltimore has delicious kosher chinese food. And that night we were joined at home by Jews United For Justice, a local activist network, for pizza (felafel as a topping???), a movie about domestic workers in southern California, and a discussion on local issues in the District & Montgomery County that effect the same (mostly-immigrant) labor group. It was our first explicitly socially-conscious event and I definitely felt proud to begin a hopefully-long-and-fruitful journey of hosting groups like JUFJ at MHSS.
We also had a havdala party at a local synagogue and our first interfaith learning meeting (this time, with Mormons! Next time, Wiccans!), but I'll let my fellow Moisheketeers tell y'all about those. HAPPY CHANUKA!!
1 comment:
Alan - How the heck did you get this posted before I got my entry posted!? Sheesh! And how is it that we write kinda similarly... This is kinda crazy!
Ah well. :) Just goes to show ya...
Post a Comment