Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Becoming a hummus expert, MHLA David 12/04/07

This month at the MHLA we had some great Shabbat dinners with a great turnout of people. Usually in the past we end up cooking most of the dinner. However, this month our guest got into cooking dishes to make it a full fledged pot-luck. Jaime brought salads, Mara brought cupcakes, Andrea brought kugel, and I made roasted veggie pasta and everyone's favorite middle eastern dip Hummus!!! I must say, you have to go through many different versions before you get the correct recipe for hummus . The good thing about making hummus constantly to perfect a recipe is that is doesn't cost very much to produce and, hey, at least its pretty healthy, right?! So if anyone out there wants to have a stab at it, here's my recipe.....

2 cans of garbanzo beans
1 bulb of roasted garlic (must be roasted to mellow out the flavor!!)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3-4 tablespoons tahini (a good tahini can be hard to find....shop around)
1/6-1/8 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup water reserved from the garbanzo beans
1 teaspoon plain yogurt (to get the right texture)
pinch of salt
pinch of cayenne pepper

Blend all of these ingredients in a food processor until creamy and you're done!!! But constantly taste the hummus to make sure it tastes right. The main key to making a good hummus is to keep tasting it to adjust the amount of ingredients until it's perfect.

I also have been strenuously planning Hebrew lessons for the house this month. How come the good tutors cost so much sometimes? Grrrrrrr..........anyways, I think I found someone to teach for us and book for us to follow so I'll write about the lessons in my next blog. Have a happy Hanukah everyone!!!!!

~Dave

No comments: