Sunday, December 30, 2007

MH Chicago, Caren M.

I was recently forwarded an article published on Nextbook about the Moishe House program. In the newest Foundation Flash there were also comments and a link to the article. I personally believe that all Moishe House participants should read the article and believe it would be a valuable discussion topic at the retreat in January. I found the article to be a negative portrayal of the program, it's participants and it's funders. It made me question my connection to the program and this network of community we are building. What I admire about the program is the flexibility and freedom that is encouraged but in reading this article it comes across as being the major weakness. I believe that the staff at the Forest Foundation have a lot of trust and commitment to our work and it was truly discouraging to read something with such a negative tone. We were selected because of our experience and interest in social justice, Judaism and community- this hardly seems the case in the article. I strongly believe in critique and was interested in reading an outsiders view of the program, but was saddened by the tone and overall theme of the article. I am curious for other reactions...

No comments: