Thursday, July 12, 2012

MH San Francisco

My name is Jay Wolfberg and I am a current resident of the Moishe House San Francisco. What a long strange trip it has been out here! I grew up around the suburbs of Philadelphia - born and raised. In my teenage years I was part of the Jewish Youth group B'nai Brith Youth Organization. Although i grew up semi religious, attending a conservative congregational synagogue until I had my Bar Mitzvah, it was not really until i joined BBYO that i felt a sense of communal experience with peers and like minded individuals. BBYO also gave me a glimpse into the world of program planning through social engagement. The time between that decade past in high school and this recent year I had not been involved much in the Jewish community but when given the opportunity to live in a Moishe House all that changed once again. The experience i have been lucky enough to have living here has been a priceless time in my life in which I have learned so much and connected once again with my Jewish roots. For example, Zvi's weekly Parsha is always full of wonderful stories and thoughtful commentaries on how to apply tradition in our contemporary lifestyle and teaches me about holidays i did not even know of! This house and community has taught me how to be more cohesive and communicative with the people around me in order to plan events accordingly and keep communication between house mates open, honest, and productive. I am so very grateful for the blessing of living here and thankful for the people who turned an idea of twenty-something Jewish social community into a reality where young adults can make something bigger than themselves alone and change the lives of so many surrounding them in an educational and meaningful way. L'Chaim! Sincerely grateful, Jay O. Wolfberg

No comments: