Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Micah Saiger - MHLA

Before I get into how the LA Moishe House is doing I’d like to give some background on how I ended up living here. A little more then a year ago I was soaking in the sun on the Tel Aviv beach, getting lost a bit, having a good time. I was there to get away, relax, meet new people. After being in Israel for around five/six months I got a call from my friend Jon (miss you buddy, he’s now living in the Portland Moishe House). He started talking to me about Moishe House. I heard about it before and had known a couple people living in the previous La House, which had now disbanded. So Jon and I emailed back and forth, got a group together, applied and luckily got the gig. I packed up my stuff and left Israel a week later excited to get started - little did I know how big of an impact this decision would have on my life.
I’ve been living in the LA house for a year now, and it’s really amazing to see how much this house has grown. The house naturally started off with each resident bringing their circle of friends to events. Which was great and a good time, but we didn’t get the feeling like we were reaching out enough. Slowly through gaining a good reputation from a mix of well planned events, and creating a relaxing environment for people to hang out in, we were able to really branch out and create the community we’d hoped for. We’ve done everything from hosting a Shabbat dinner and concert at our house, to dodger gaming, to learning how to pickle, and much much more. It’s been a wonderful year for me, I’ve met amazing people in my community. People with very different backgrounds, that I most likely wouldn’t have ever crossed paths with if it wasn’t for Moishe House. It’s been really unbelievable, and I feel honored to live here. But none of this, the success of the house and the events, could have happened without my wonderful roommates. We have our differences, Julie being a raw chef, Sonia being a teacher, Rodrigo being a screenwriter, Jon who’s now working in the non-profit world, and me, a freelance graphic designer. Pretty eclectic group. They work hard to make these events work, and really have an effect on the Los Angeles young Jewish community. I applaud them for putting up with me, and for pushing this house to the limits. This is a great group of people, and this house’s success is a result of their hard work. I’m looking forward to the future of this house. If you’re reading this and haven't been to an event, don’t hesitate, we’re just some good people looking to have a good time.

Micah Saiger

Los Angeles Moishe House

No comments: