Tuesday, July 8, 2008

MHSS Alan

So I spent July 4th weekend up in NY for the wedding of my oldest friend, the girl who is practically my older sister. I got back pretty late Sunday night (after about 5 train rides and getting traded for a small poodle on the side of Interstate 95) and am trying to re-adjust to the working life. Assignments, bills to pay, a semi-empty house until our new SS Moishketeers move in...

Last month included the holiday of Shavuot. Like on all Jewish holidays, we tried to stuff our house with 30 people for a massive sleepover and meals. Why do we do this? Because we're crazy. We did it before joining the Moishe House project, and I hope to do it for many years to come. On Shavuot we organized a grand dinner the first night of the holiday, preceded by living room-style services, and followed by the classic, traditional, and ridiculous custom of staying up all night talking Torah until the coffee's got you so wired you try to play "human knot" in the middle of Mississippi Avenue. Members of the MHSS community enlightened and enlivened our night with text studies and guided discussions on such diverse topics as "Traits of Wisdom", "The History of Conservative Judaism's Understanding of Homosexuality", and "Secrets of Kaddish". Once we'd all gotten naps in the morning (after or during synagogue) we enjoyed the next two days of the holiday with the select group who chose to hang out with us for it, eating potluck meals, playing board games, talking more Torah, and trying to stay out of the 110 degree heat indexes.

My other favorite event of June was the talk by John Marks of "Search for Common Ground", but that was Rachael's baby so she can describe it.

Side comment: I just heard a rumor that MH London is going to Burning Man and I'm seriously jealous. I'll be at the Havurah Summer Institute, which is cool, but not as cool.

No comments: