Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Hello everyone! Its Kiki here at MH San Francisco. While I am not a huge fan of the freezing SF weather, early sundown and propensity for rain (its actually pouring outside as I write this) that comes with this time of year, I really and truly love all the big holidays that come so close together- its like six weeks (or more!) of holiday goodness! Thinking about how much I love Thanksgiving, Hanukkah and New Years made me realize just how much I like living in MHSF. Beyond the opportunity to host events, meet new people and cultivate my Jewish identity, in the last few months I’ve really begun to feel at home in our moishe house. I love coming home to my roommates after work, cooking dinner with them and hearing about their days. I love that MHSF can be such an active part of the larger Jewish community, but the sense of family that being a part of my moishe house is what I have really grown to appreciate. At 26, I have lived in many different houses, different cities and with different roommates but that sense of personal community and comfort that I feel here is one which I know to be rare and I am so grateful for it.

In other fun news: we recently went to our regional retreat, and as someone who has been in Moishe House for a while now, I have to say that it was really great to meet up with all our fellow moishe houses and just get inspired to be a part of moishe house all over again. Even though the retreat was short, being there was like going to a family reunion- we are all connected by this awesome experience that is moishe house and while we all come from different places that connection is important to all of us. Because the retreat was actually in San Francisco this year, our house had the extra bonus of having some post-retreat visitors from Denver. It never ceases to pleasantly surprise me just how great Moishe House is at building relationships and bringing people together. I have met some amazing people through Moishe House- at events we have hosted and at retreats- and am just so excited to continue to be a part of the organization.

I hope has been enjoying a wonderful Hanukkah!

No comments: