Monday, May 4, 2009

MHSS Alan is confused by the weather

A week in the high 70s... I get a sunburn on my head.
Now a week in the low 60s and rainy?

Welcome to Maryland - where if you don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes and it'll reverse!

This month I became more of a real Marylander, actually. I ate my first crab cake! Now you're thinking, but Alan! doesn't the Good Lord hate shellfish, almost as much as She hates tourists who block both sides of subway escalators? and it's true, my understanding of kashrut precludes me from devouring *real* crabs -- however these were vegetarian *imitation* crab cakes, at a veg restaurant in Baltimore. And according to a friend who was there with me, who had eaten real crab cakes in the past, they were a pretty good fascimile.

Our Birkat haChama project from last month went off SO SPECTACULARLY that we were featured in the Washington Post -- with a front page picture in the print edition, and with a video and photo gallery online! (Jewschool even posted about it here: http://jewschool.com/2009/04/13/15885/moishe-house-birkat-hachamah/)

Other than that, I must say my favorite MHSS moments in the past few weeks were making matsa-pizza and settling in with community members and friends to watch the movie "Stargate" (or as I like to call it, the Passover story with spaceships) on the Sunday of Pesach, and our mini-Yom Ha'atzma'ut celebration of Israel's birthday. We had a bonfire and Israeli music, and well as shawarma, laffa, felafel, and plenty of salatim from the Pita Plus, the kosher Israeli eatery in College Park, MD, and we discussed Israel's legacy of human rights accomplishments and challenges while learning about the Israeli Declaration of Independence with local rabbi Gerry Serrota.

No comments: