Monday, November 12, 2007

Hope Buddies & Mormons [MHSS]

London: Just read a couple of your blogs & the newspaper article about you guys -- fantastic! Welcome to the Moishe House crowd!

Just had my first true phanfare / Mintranet experience -- how thrilling! I am now one of the Mintranet elite, I suppose.

November has been good to us so far, though I continue to wonder how we can grow & have yet to produce a viable solution.

. . .

Making Hope Buddies was fun, and was possibly the most intellectual camp craft experience ever: Discussions about literature, strategy games, & other subculturous hobbies introduced me to worlds of creative cerebral pursuits I had never known to exist.

Word of the day: ___-punk
(Clearly, I don't remember it all that well. I had never heard of this apparently well-known term used to denote all things neo-Victorian / Victorian in the Computer Age. I hadn't known there *were* things of this kind that necessitated a term to bind & unite them into one category. It seeems the intricate antique typewriter case mod is included in this department. You never know what you are going to learn.....)

Our Interfaith event with Mormons was excellent, I think! We got to explain a lot about who & what we are. I love situations in which I can help shed light on what Judaism is and what it means to be Jewish / a Jew -- if only from one perspective [my own], however limited. (I always make a point to let people know that there is WAY more content out there & that they should look for other reputable sources of information besides / in addition to myself.) I also learned about a few aspects of Mormonism that I just had no clue about previously. Building bridges & creating common places of understanding, searching for similarities & appreciating & learning from differences is so important to the happy survival of individuals & nations & this world, I think. I look forward to another meeting in which we can explore more in-depth and possibly tackle some of the more touchy subjects pertaining to our faiths.

Our most persistent challenge is establishing & maintaining a solid, strong, committed community -- that is, people who not only say they're going to attend an event (though we could use more of those as well), but actually show up. Zvi & I have brainstormed a bit on this one. We're all at a loss. Any ideas???

Looking forward to the rest of the November events, & to what we have in store for December. Especially looking fwd to those of our events in conjunction w/ other groups -- most especially our next Interfaith nights.

Happy Moishe-ing!

No comments: