Monday, January 9, 2012

Food for the Soul

When I moved to Portland, OR in September, I had no idea what was in store for me. Living with more than one roommate for the first time, creating seven Jewish programs a month, and moving to a city I knew nothing about were only some of the many concerns I had.

Yet, sitting here 4 months later, I can say how grateful I am to have moved into this beautiful community filled with constant support from my roommates and Moishe House participants.

Every week, my three other roommates and I discuss the endless possibilities we have in creating a spirited, energetic, and loving Jewish community. While we all have our ideas in how this will be created, one concept we all agree upon is the importance of establishing a community in the house. After all, one cannot discuss its importance of community building if we are not living it every single day in the home we live in. With this in mind, one way we have established a community within the house is the agreement of sharing food.

Let’s face it - One of the most important rooms in a house is the kitchen. The kitchen is where food for the soul is prepared to eat and enjoy. One might think that sharing food does not take much thought or effort. However, witnessing a transition between, “My food is mine” to “Our food is for everyone!” has built a stronger connection between all of us. In addition, I have seen our home grow from individuality to community building, filled with love, support, and yummy food! This simple, yet important practice has created a bond, which will continue to shine outside of our home and help us to create the community we are focused on.

As I continue to have a vital position in this leadership role, I look forward in creating more ways to connect with my roommates and simultaneously establishing a strong and vibrant Jewish community in Portland, OR!

No comments: