Monday, October 5, 2009

The Birds Eye View of You

Richard Bach once said “Look in a mirror and one thing's sure; what we see is not who we are." I panicked the first time I read that because it made me feel like I might have been wearing a costume my entire life, and I still feel that way sometimes (ironically I feel more like myself when I wear a costume on Purim and Halloween). The antidote to a quote like this is quickly revealed when you live with five other dynamic people who view your soul from a birds eye view. There are elements of your behavior that are revealed way more clearly than a mirror ever could, especially if there is a request for you to alter your behavior, speech, or rain dance routine. This is not a bad thing, because you too can act like a bird, so it's kind of cool that everyone is on the same playing field, or playing sky in this case. Constructive criticism is like a paper cut, it only hurts if you concentrate on the pain rather than on cleaning the cut up. Where the mirror allows you to use palliatives to change yourself be it makeup, avocados, or even a clean shirt, the birds eye view as absorbed from your family is more real than that stench that infiltrates your nostrils on the 405 just before you enter the City of Carson. Does this mean you have to change who you are, absolutely not, but creating a community with other multi-cell organisms always requires the flexibility of your soul. So, break your mirror, or have someone else do it and call them in seven years, do some Yoga, and be nice when it's your turn to observe from the sky. Because not even the 1986 Mets could fly forever, and neither can we.

1 comment:

Semi Permanent said...

I just go through to your article. It is too good and so much interesting and informative also. I really enjoyed a lot when I read that article. So thanks for sharing with me such a nice article. Now I frequently visit on your site. For the more information visit on www(dot)nouvelleaesthetics(dot)co(dot)uk.
Semi Permanent Make Up