Monday, February 27, 2012

You make time for the things that are important

Before moving in to the Moishe House I was a fairly active participant. I lived 3 blocks away and would be over quite a bit (whether or not there was an event). I became pretty good friends with the guys there, and once they had an opening I figured it would be a good opportunity for me to become more active in the Russian Jewish community. I wasn’t sure how much this would change things. I already work full time, go to school part time for my MBA twice a week, and have other hobbies I do on weekly basis like rock climbing and martial arts. My main concern was that I wouldn’t have enough time to put into the Moishe House. Being a part of the Moishe House ended up being a great experience so far, and I was able to make sure I dedicated the appropriate amount of time. I enjoyed being an active part in planning events and figuring out how we can make a difference in our community. Being a fairly social person, I liked meeting new people on a regular basis and like the fact that there is never a dull moment in the Moishe House and we constantly have people stopping by. I was also able to bring in new people that I was friends with that had no involvement in the Moishe House before I started to live there. Not only was I able to increase my network of friends in the Russian Jewish community, but I was able to meet members of other Moishe Houses throughout the country, while on a retreat in Los Angeles. It was amazing to see how having a common bond (the fact that we were all Jewish and living in a Moishe House and trying to make a difference in our communities) made it very easy for us to get along and establish new friendships. I am very excited to continue being an active part of this organization and help strengthen the Russian Jewish community here in Chicago.

Herman Tkach, MH Chicago RSJ

No comments: