Monday, October 10, 2011

MH San Diego turns 1!!!

MHSD turns 1!!!!! That's right, as of October 1, 2011, we turned one. It's been a great year, our community has grown from essentially 3 people to hundreds. We now get at least 30 guests every Shabbat, and many regulars hang out outside of MHSD events.

That our birthday happened to fall between Rosh HaShana and Yom Kippur makes contemplating the year that passed both easy and interesting. This past year has been a learning experience to say the least. I personally learned how much EFFORT it takes to host successful and meaningful events and really what it takes to facilitate community-building. I want to thank my house-mates (Dovi, Natalie and Jon) for all their efforts in making our house and this social experiment called Moishe House an absolute success.

Personally, this was a year of big changes as well. It was my first complete year back in the US after living/working/studying in Israel for the prior 3 years; I also started a PhD program here in San Diego that was *a little* more time-consuming than I thought it would be. Even with all the stress of trying to juggle 5-6 events a month, tons of school work, trying to maintain a life outside of Moishe House (it's actually possible), at the end of every month it's been completely worth it. This month, I'm especially looking forward to building our sukkah (this Sunday). We just missed Sukkot when we moved in last year and I'm really excited to have an amazing house and back yard in which to build one this year.

Shana Tova and Gmar Chatima Tova to all.

Noah

No comments: