Thursday, October 2, 2008

MHSeattle, Neal Schindler, 10/2/2008

Whew! The Rosh Hashanah rush was very fun and very wearying. I started a part-time temp job on Monday, and even though I'm sure most of you out there get up early every morning, rising at 7:30 a.m. to catch an 8:11 bus to start at 9 was a shock to the system for a few days there. (Now that I'm more used to it, I'm very grateful that my internal clock has been realigned to conform to, you know, employed people time.) Anyway, helping to host a Sunday night re-screening of the presidential debate and then co-hosting two RH dinners in a row (after last week's Wednesday potluck and Thursday movie night, yet!) left me needing some R&R.

Happily, I'm back to functional mode, and tonight I'm off to a VP debate-watching party being hosted by friends of friends of the Kibbutz. And Friday night's Shabbat dinner should be a smaller-than-usual, relatively quiet affair, which suits me fine. After all, October brings Sukkot -- days of gathering materials, multiple potlucks in the sukkah, and so on. I love the familial vibe of the house, but it's also reminding me that family means obligations. However fun those are, they have to be fit in around whatever else is going on in one's life. Mine is still pretty un-busy, which makes me wonder how things will be when I eventually land another full-time job. I'm also feeling a little guilty about not helping on RH prep as much as the other house members, but I guess the new job is a somewhat decent excuse. And I think communication in the house is open enough that if somebody thought I was slacking, they'd let me know. (I also worry all the time that I'm a big slacker, so often it's mostly my worries that are the problem, not the objective situation.)

P.S. Organizing the Nextbook salon about Jews and sex is continuing apace. Today I put together Elana's and my submission for the readings packet and deliver it to our co-coordinator, Jacob Fine, at Hillel.

No comments: