Thursday, November 6, 2008

One Giant Step for Man Kind...

So this past week I was in Columbus, Ohio, campaigning for President-elect Barack Obama. To say it was an eye-opening experience, would be a huge understatement. I was blown away by the commitment level and enthusiasm of all of the volunteers. People came from all over the country and world to bring about change.

One reason Obama's campaign was so successful was his ability to identify and motivate first-time voters to go to the polls. One of these groups of people that Obama identified in Columbus, was Somalis. My main task in Columbus was canvassing and driving people to the polls. One night I drove three Somali women back from the polls. It was a very interesting experience as two of them didn't speak any English. However, what I gathered from our limited conversation was that they had stood in line for 3 hours!!!

Going forward, I am very excited to see how the organization of Obama's campaign can translate into his time as president of the United States of America.

No comments: