Friday, March 2, 2007

Draftastic

After the last out had been recorded in our final playoff Matzah Ballstars game last fall there was an amazing sense of loss that overwhelmed me. Our softball season had it's ups and downs, but as a whole was one of the most valuable experiences I have had as part of a team. And now it was over.

This past month the next chapter in the Matzah Ballstars history began. On Monday, February 5th past Ballstars and a number of hopefuls gathered at 1250 Fell Street for delicious pizza and our first ever Moishe House Softball Draft. Forms were passed out to organize our prospects, and the managers were sequestered in a closed door meeting to divide more than 35 players into two teams.

As one of the managers I was involved with, and privy to, all the behind the scenes action. This, in no small way, was the fulfillment of a lifelong dream to be involved in the creation of my own sports team. Hundreds of times while watching my beloved local pro teams flounder once again I have imagined how I would reconstruct these franchises to achieve optimal performance. Finally I had my chance.

We wheeled and dealed, compromised, and most importantly, laughed at ourselves throughout the entire night. After all was said and done my co-managers and I found ourselves with both a talented and spirited bunch. When we emerged from our meeting we were happy and eager to make the announcement of who what play for each team. As names were announced many cheered, high fives were exchanged, and nods of approval could be seen throughout the room of players.

Now my team stands at the brink of a new season. Armed with a new fierce name, the Yamakazees, and a willingness to makes this another great season, I have nothing but the highest of hopes for what's to come. Let's play ball!

No comments: