Monday, December 5, 2011

A Tight-Knit Community

Throughout my life, I have always tried to remain integrated within the Jewish community. I attended Hebrew school and was involved in my synagogue until I went to college. In college, I went to Shabbat dinners at Chabad and networked with rabbis in the St. Louis community. As a recent graduate, I have chosen to spend the next year of my life living in Moishe House Philadelphia. While I am not religious, it is important for me to be connected to a tight-knit Jewish community. I feel that Moishe House provides exactly that.

I have only lived in the house for two months now and I am amazed at how close the Moishe House community truly is. At every event, I see people mingling, laughing, and having fun. I am constantly surprised that some of the guests at our events have never been to a Moishe House event or even met the other guests before, yet they seem to feel right at home in the Moishe House community. This is evidence that Moishe House provides a warm and hospitable community for all Jews in their twenties.

After spending the last four years in St. Louis, it was important for me to find a welcoming Jewish community like Moishe House. I am proud to say that I am now a part of the organization that provides this community for other Jews like me, who seek an inviting group with which they can spend holidays, learn about the religion, and have fun at social events. During my two months here, Moishe House Philadelphia has hosted a wide array of events, ranging from a large Jewish New Year celebration, called Apples ‘N Hunnies, to smaller, more intimate Shabbat potlucks each month. I am still learning about my responsibilities as a resident and adapting to life in Moishe House Philadelphia, but I am happy to say that I am now a part of a close-knit Jewish community.


Heather

Moishe House Philadelphia

No comments: