Monday, November 14, 2011

Moishe House Boston, Hurray!

After spending three incredible years working with the Vancouver young adult Jewish community, I made the move out to Boston to start a graduate program at Brandeis University. When I mentioned to a friend that I'd be moving into the Moishe House here, their response went something to the tune of, "Boston, huh? You know it's a Moishe House on steroids?". I actually had no idea.

In the less then three months that I've been a housemate, this house and community continues to amaze me. Our calender is jam packed with everything from social justice events with local interfaith organizations, to holiday parties, sex ed discussions and leadership trainings. Meetings go on between various committees on an almost daily basis. People here aren't just involved. They are proud and fully committed to this community and treat it as their own.

Fall has been busy for us. Highlights included a Sukkot Party, a Tikun on Tap event which focused on the occupy movement, and our bi-weekly Shabbat services and dinner. New people are always popping in and although the work is non stop, it's more gratifying than I ever could have imagined. People live happier lives when they are connected to community, and for the young adult Jewish community, Moishe House does it better than any organization that I've seen.

With Love,

Tslil

No comments: