Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fall transitions at Moishe House San Francisco

This fall (this upcoming Halloween actually) marks my 3rd year of living in Moishe House San Francisco. When I moved in, sight unseen, straight from Brooklyn 3 years ago, I never thought I'd live in the house for as long as I have. I moved in looking for connections with other Jews, looking for a social life, and looking for a network. I knew I loved planning events, hosting dinner parties, and participating in social justice. I also knew that the roommates I'd be moving in with were kind, passionate, and really welcoming. I didn't know how long I'd stay, and I didn't know where life would take me in the next few years. I didn't have a plan, but I had concieved of it as an interim move while I got settled in SF, maybe for a year or so before finding my own place.

Now, it's hard to imagine anything else. Moishe House is my home and a huge part of my life. My boyfriend moved in with us about 8 months ago, and now we are both completely involved in the workings of the house. It's my 'hobby,' my 'second job' and a lot of my social life. I've been in the house now long enough to see so many people come and go. Resident changes, guests, etc.

It's fall and it seems apt that there are some more changes in progress. First, we had to say goodbye to Kiki Fabian, who had been a great roommate, but had to follow her heart and started med school in Israel at Ben Gurion. Then, we got a new roommate - Monique Arar. Just as she is settling in, I'm starting to think about moving along. I don't know how I'll know that I'm absolutely 'ready' because how would anyone ever feel ready to leave such a gorgeous house, such great friendships, and such a great project?

I do know though that I've grown and learned a lot in my time at moishe house, and whenever it is that Jordan and I decide to move on, I'll take all that with me. Moishe House has changed me. It's pushed my schmooze skills to their absolute limits, it's taught me a lot about Jewish ritual that I never learned growing up in a very reform, hippy synagogue, and has connected me with hundreds of young San Francisco Jews and Jewish organizations. It has taught me about collaboration, team work, communication, and how not to be passive-agressive with routine roommate issues like dirty dishes or loud noises. I know that I'll keep hosting shabbat dinner, keep volunteering, and keep connected once I leave. My Jewish identity has grown stronger over the past few years, and really all I've done in that time that's 'Jewish' is everything moishe.
Thanks to moishe house I build a sukkah once a year, and now I frequently get to light candles, say kiddish, and eat challah; all things that really mean a lot to me. Once I leave I know I'll find a way to keep this aspect of my life in my identity and in my social plans.

We've got a lot of great September events coming up, so definitely check the moishe house website and our calendar if you'd like to join us. It's a fun filled and busy high holiday season for sure!

No comments: