Moishe House Boston has had a somewhat tumultuous couple of weeks. We have been in a state of transition. Three housemates left, and, after an extensive selection process, three wonderful new housemates were set to move in this past week. All was going well until we found out, last Tuesday, that one of the new housemate's placement for her social work internship fell through because her supervisor had to go on early maternity leave. She and her school tried valiantly to find her another Boston placement but were unable, so she unfortunately had to move to Portland, ME and could no longer move in the house.
The Moishe House housemates, and the housemate selection team, were at a loss! Who could replace this spot at such short notice? With such a vibrant community, the thought of having fewer than 4 housemates seemed daunting, but at the same time, the options seemed really limited. That's where I come in. I have been an active member of the Moishe House Boston community for the last 3-4 years, and had even, at one point, seriously considered moving into the house. I knew all the other housemates, as well as many members of the community, and had assumed some leadership roles in the past. And, it turns out, I was looking for a place to live and was about to sign a lease, when one of the housemates called me, after consulting with the other housemates and housemate selection team, and asked me about whether I would fill in the role. The decision had to made, and quickly.
From my perspective, it is a testament to the thoughtfulness and open communication of the other housemates that I was able to make a decision--and with enthusiasm-- decided to move into the house. They each reached out to me, and gave me a place to voice my concerns. Each asked me to talk through my considerations with them and explicitly articulated that, though I would be joining so last minute, that my thoughts, ideas, needs, etc would be honored with the same weight as theirs. Moreover, the three housemates have designed an impressive housemate retreat for this weekend that will be a time to talk explicitly about division of responsibilities, expectations, needs, boundaries between personal and public space, and any other lingering concerns. Carving out this time is so helpful in making me feel that I can be on the same page and fully integrating into the house.
So, the lesson learned from this mini-crisis: the power of communication cannot be underestimated. I am excited for us to continue to create an open environment where all of us can continue to voice our needs, delights, and dilemmas.....
I am so thrilled to be a part of this community,
Michelle
No comments:
Post a Comment