People in London share houses all the time. People who barely know each other live door to door with each other under the same roof. House prices mean that professionals who would have bought their own place in their 20s and 30s are still house sharing in their 40s and 50s. The structure is changing whether we welcome it or not. So why not use it to our advantage?
I'd like to find out more about Ivan Illich's work in examining where social conventions come from and questioning whether they are still useful or productive. What's to stop this happening more often in social structure?
It seems as though one can get used to using buildings in a particular way and then not question their potential.
According to what people say when they show up here, the House really seems to be filling a gap not previously filled, yet it doesn't seem to be taking much between five of us and our growing community to make it so much more for people than a regular shared house. I wonder how much of that comes from the unlimited expectations of the space.
I am still 'just' sharing a house, as I was last year, but this year I feel the potential of that expanding all the time.
Thanks to Elliott Tucker for the artwork that covers our hallway as part of our new Jewish Art Exhibition.Here's one he did earlier.
No comments:
Post a Comment