Wednesday, June 27, 2007

CD Mix Tape? Check! Moishe House softball shirts? Double Check!!

Okay I think I am almost-maybe-sort-of-kinda-a-little ready to go to Israel. On Monday I will be going to Israel for a month. I have only been to Israel once before on the highly controlled and supervised Birthright tour. This time I will have more free time than I can imagined. Sure I was nervious three years ago when I left for Guatemala with a one-way ticket and limited Spanish skills, but somehow going to Israel feels very different. I am sure it is a mixture of the facts that Israel is always in the news - sadly for reasons of political distress and violence - and that, well... it is Israel. A place full of familiar culture and faces. A place which others will tell me is my home land. A place with history more famous than any other I know. A foreign place.

So I have decided that I will try to bring as many gifts as I can. I have four Moishe House softball shirts and will be carrying 20 copies (maybe 30) of a mix tape (actually CD) of some of my favorite new music. Oh I almost forgot, I need to get some American candy. But here is the thing. "American" candy is everywhere. It is not unique. The whole world has had Snickers, Twix, M&M, etc. I need something unique. I think I will bring some Ghirardelli or Scharffen Berger. I think Hershey owns one of them, but oh well. I am hoping these gifts will be my ticket to safe travels and good times.

Wish me luck!

No comments: