This Sunday 13 brave young men will be venturing where many men have been before, though, none of us. San Quentin Prison. Under the guidance of our faithful leader, Mr. Ari Baruth, we will be taking our vast softball skills through the prtison gates, to one of the most well guarded fields anywhere in the world. I for one am extremely excited, and incredibly terified. Most of my life I do whatever I can to avoid putting myself in situations I consider to be dangerous or pants-wetting scarey. Now here I am 6 days away from walking into a scenario that is arguably both. When I think about it logically I know that these are just people like me, who for whatever reason have gotten caught up in a life that led them to this place. Under different circumstances these prisoners could be guys I grew up with, or me. They aren't "bad people". Secondcly, I also know that there will be a lot of people in charge of making sure that nothing happens to us during our 7 inning game. This has been done before, and they have no interest in having us walk into a situation where serious physical harm could be done to us.
More than anything I think that it is important for me to see at least a glimpse of what life is like for those serving long sentences in our penal system. With MILLIONS of Americans behind bars, and the numbers ever increasing, I think it is vital that what many men and woman go through on a daily basis in confinement be more than just a statistic. If anything I hope to gain a better appreciation for the life that I've been able to lead, and the freedoms I often take for granted. Wish me, and the rest of the Little Lebowski Urban Achievers, luck!
1 comment:
come visit us in silver spring while you're in the national capital area
Post a Comment