Monday, June 2, 2008

Rachael - MHSS - 1 year anniversary!

Wow - so much good stuff to read from my fellow Moisheniks!

Been a good month here at MHSS. Several points to note:
- First: as of yesterday, we are officially 1 year old!
H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y , M H S S !

- Margo is off in NYC living the city life, & Noam is on his way to good ol' Bmore. Our two new housemates can't move in till Aug. due to current obligations, but have been involved already. . . . This should be a good year. :)

- MHSS has, thanks to Alan, joined a CSA -- Community Share Agriculture (I think). Zvi, Lindsay (new housemate -- new Moishenik), Yael (current housemate of L), and I went to the farm to pick strawberries last week. AMAZING! I ate well for the following day or two. :)

- Of course, there was Jeremy's visit (just over a week ago? seems ancient news already), which included a visit to the Piratz Tavern & subsequent reunion between two good ol' boys from a small town in Cali. :) Oh, the magic of being Jewish!

- Short story:
Yesterday (June 1) was a huge event on the National Mall in D.C. to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the modern state of Israel. I had wanted to do something to help identify MHSS amongst the crowd; so, at Zvi's suggestion (which I seconded -- I couldn't think of anything better), I bought orange cloth which I cut into strips for armbands.

At one point in the afternoon, I stopped my wanderings from exhibit to exhibit to find one of the longer strips I knew I had so that I could keep my hair out of my eyes. Next thing I know, a young Orthodox family is asking me for strips of cloth. I don't understand -- I don't look like a promoter or a staff member handing out free stuff -- but I oblige, handing the three small children each a strip of orange cloth. You know kids: they like anything they can get at festivals...right?

Only it's not the kids that want the cloth, with Mom serving as spokesperson; I soon realize it's Mom who is excited, dressing each of her three children in the strips of cloth as only a mother to her oblivious & clueless children can.

child (lost, to mother): "What's this for?"
mother (thrilled, smiling): "It's to show we want Gaza back."

!

Who knew MHSS was representing a political statement.
(A moment later, an older man who must have witnessed what just transpired approached me asking what the orange strips of cloth were for. Wishing to avoid being the Gaza Girl of Orange Cloth, I explained I was just looking for something of mine that I knew I had brought with me so that I could tie my hair back -- which, of course, is what I had really been doing. He acquiesced and left, having no need for people who weren't giving away free stuff.)

Needless to say, the strips of cloth remained out of sight for the remainder of the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could give my own opinion with your topic that is not boring for me.